Sunday 27 December 2020

Behind the Scenes

The stories on this site, plus many others still to come, can be found, unpolished, at Spanish Shilling. That's a blog I've been writing since 2006. Prior to that, I wrote a daily blog called The Entertainer Online (which came from an American server which blew up at some point). This went from 2002 to around 2009. You might find bits of it on the Wayback Machine (even the bits which these days I'm not allowed to mention).

I had owned and edited a newspaper called The Entertainer from 1985 to 1999. It was free, weekly, delightfully bad, and came in three editions for the Costa Blanca, Costa de Almería and Costa del Sol. Neither I nor anyone I ever met or who participated in any way had a clue about newspapers, but you learn. You learn. 

Newspapers are produced because the editor likes to write, or he likes his desktop publishing designs, or maybe he has no interest in either, but knows how to sell and run advertising. The latter gambit is probably the way to go. 

The Entertainer was sold but I was never paid. You'll find their version of events if you search hard enough. It's now a successful freebie under another name (although following my edition numbering).

Besides The Entertainer, I also produced or edited or both over fifty editions of Entertainer En Español, a hundred of El Indalico, fifty of The New Entertainer (here) and a few others besides. 

All of this taught me a number of lessons, as well as much about this wonderful country of Spain, where I've lived - more or less - since 1967. 

These days, I write a weekly news-digest about Spain called Business over Tapas - useful news: no flimflam, guff, drivel, news about doggies... and no adverts. It's sent out to readers by subscription. There's also a Facebook page here

Actually... away from the keyboard, I spend most of my time shovelling shit at the stables we operate just outside Almería. On consideration, it's a lot better for the soul.   

Everything That's Runny Contains Water

I saw a billboard today while driving along the main road towards the playa on my way...